July 25, 2016

Over the Hump & Other Things

Good morning and happy Monday! I only have a couple of Mondays left before I have to head back to school, so I would really rather be sound asleep right now... but I had some really, really weird dreams last night about ghosts in the backyard and a ghost baby named Octave and mermaids and being shot by a bad guy whose only weapon was a vase with bullets in it.

Eek!

So, needless to say, I had no desire to go back to sleep when Thomas woke me up to say goodbye this morning.

Anyway, that's not what I came here to talk about! :) Some exciting things are happening right now, and I'm excited to share them with you!




Yesterday marked the halfway point of my last set of classes at Walden.

Normally, at this point, I'd be doing my little happy dance, while figuring out exactly when I need to order the textbooks for my next classes. I would (maybe) be getting excited for a break, but I've only had 3 weeks "off" from schoolwork in the past 11 months, so probably not.

But now, I'm going to be done. Really, really done. I don't have to buy any more textbooks. I don't have to create any more folders on my desktop to hold the dozens of papers I know I'll have to write.

I'm not trying to be dramatic here, but I really don't remember what free time even feels like anymore!

But, I can't get myself too worked up. After all, I still have 4 weeks left!

Want to know something else that I'm so excited about?

(Of course you do. That's why you're here!)

As many of you know, one of my big goals is to write a children's book and get it published. I wrote briefly about it here. I have so many ideas swirling around in my head and actually have started several manuscripts, but I just couldn't find the endings to any of my stories. I have a tendency to want everything to be perfect, especially when it comes to my writing, so it's hard for me to put (whatever) down on paper just to have something there, even though that's the advice I've gotten from all the authoring books I've read.

Last night, though, after I finished my big paper, I sat down to work on one of my stories. I had already finished about 2/3 of it and knew what the ending would be, but I just couldn't seem to connect the story I had written to the ending I wanted. So, I just started writing, and then I kept writing, and then I kept writing. And, almost before I even realized it, the two pieces were connected!

Now, of course, I went back through and changed most of it because that's just who I am and what I do. ;) But, I am almost completely satisfied with it now! After reading through it a final time (and letting Thomas read through it), I am putting it away for a week or two, so I can come back to it with new eyes and see what needs to be fixed. 

In the meantime, though, I will be researching publishing companies (!!!) and working on a cover letter to send with my manuscript. This is so unbelievable, and I can't believe that it could actually be happening soon. 

That's almost all I have to say, but... I can't forget the most important part! Today mark 5 months until Christmas! Please enjoy this image of Chris Colfer/Kurt Hummel as an elf, because I love him and this is my very favorite Glee episode! :)


Have a wonderful day! 

No comments

Post a Comment